Saturday, August 23, 2014

works in progress: silhouettes/lanterns

About seven years ago I pulled out my Birds of North America Guidebook and began sketching robins, cardinals, hummingbirds and crows onto black paper. I cut the shapes out with my tiniest sewing scissors and ornamented a bare branch in our living room with this flock of silhouettes. I enjoyed watching the birds and I enjoyed watching my [then] newborn baby watch the birds. 

Now cats. Now dogs. Now our neighborhood and the city. I'm sketching, cutting, painting and exploring. 

Here is a preview of my work (in progress):


silhouettes on white vellum


my Irvington Dog design


cutting and lifting shapes



finished cut-outs




Irvington Cats (cut-outs painted black)



Indy @ Delaware and East Washington



Irvington Dogs



Irvington Cats as a lantern (orange cellophane lining)



And...this evening's sky over Irvington (uncut!)




1 comment:

  1. I am particularly intrigued by the lanterns. Do you glue the cutouts to the vellum,? And you can still roll it into a cylinder?? Also, with the paintings/drawings: especially like the hydrant and the farm tools. But all are really nice.

    ReplyDelete